Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Love of Healthy Cooking

On this blog I haven't written anything about cooking.  I love to cook and so I thought this blog article should be about some wonderful recipes I have found or created that I think our followers would enjoy.  This will not be the only recipe article but here are some of my faves:

I LOVE the blog: skinnytaste.  I have made many things from this website and ALL of it has been delicious.  So check it out.  One very surprising but scrumptious dessert was the Black Bean Brownies....you have to check this out.  I made them and they are somwhere between a brownie and fudge.  I put about a half a cup of chopped walnuts in mine and it made them even better.  They need to be eaten in a few days because after about five days they got a bit stale. I can't believe combining just a can of black beans and a brownie mix could be so amazing!  This is a must try!  Another great recipe from this blog is the Thai Coconut Curry Shimp.  I made it as instructed but then I added some veggies before the shrimp.  I added mushrooms, carrots and a green bellpepper to make it more sustantial.  I also made some coconut/almond rice to go with it and let me tell you...this was a HUGE hit!  For the rice, I use Jasmine rice and then add toasted shredded coconut and toasted slivered almonds once the rice is cooked.  I also add the remaining cococunt milk that I didn't use with the shrimp.  Another must try.  You will get addicted to this website. I heart it!

People think I'm a great cook but really I'm more of a Semi-Homemade cook.  I take help any way I can especially with a baby running around and climbing up my leg while I try to cook.  So here is an adapted recipe from Dashing Dish that I make from time to time: Katie's Yummy Lasagna
Ingredients:
5 Zuchinis slice lengthwise in 1/4 inche slices
Ground Chicken or Turkey Breast
Small package of mushrooms (any variety) cut up in bits
One onion chopped
1 frozen box of spinach, dethawed and squeezed dry
4 garlic cloves chopped
I jar of past sauce to your liking
Box of no back lasagna noodle sheets (you won't use it all)
16 oz container of low fat cottage cheese
1 cup of shredded parm cheese
1 egg or egg beaters
1 Cup of shredded mozzerela
Spice to your liking (oregano, rosemary, basil, salt, pepper)
Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees. 
Lay the sliced zuchini on two sheet trays and spray liberally with Pam then salt them.  Place them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or so until tender. 

While that is going, make the red sauce.  Get a big pasta pot and put some olive oil in it and then put the garlic, onion, and mushrooms in first to start cooking.  After about 5 minutes as the ground meat and spices.  Cook that until no longer pink.  Then add the jar of pasta sauce and cook on low for another 15 minutes.  While that is simmering, take out the zuchini to cool and then mix the cottage cheese, egg and parmesean in a bowl and set aside.  Now you are ready to assemble the lasagna.  Put some of the red sauce on the bottom or a 9X13 dish, then place some lasagna noodle sheets to cover the sauce.  Then place the zuchini on top of the noodles in a thin layer.  Then put a layer of the cheese mixture.  Then put a layer of the noodles, then zuchini, then red sauce, then noodles, then cheese mixture. 

You can layer them how you want depending on the dish you use.  I then put a layer of shredded mozzerela on the very top. The cover the dish with foil and put in the heated oven for 30 minutes.  Take the foil off and cook for another 10 minutes and you will have deliciousness!  I don't write recipes too often so hopefully this made sense!

I have many more unique and healthy recipes I will share later so stay tuned and happy cooking and EATING!  YUM!

And just because I can't update the Blog without a little Riley Time....here she is taking her first sip from a straw!  What a big girl!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment